FREE Newsletter
Enter your details to receive our Quarterly Newsletter and Weekly Client Alerts
Free Services
Express Enquiry
    All fields are required

Problems with Abandoned Vehicles


Is there an abandoned vehicle in your street? Or has your car been impounded by the local council? If so we may be able to help.

The types of vehicles which can be classified are:

  • Cars 
  • Motorbikes 
  • Caravans 
  • Trailers Remains of vehicles, including parts and accessories. 


Your car or your neighbour’s car cannot be impounded by the police until the car runs out of registration. Even if the car is falling apart it cannot be impounded until its registration expires.

When the car’s registration expires 15 business days must pass before the impounding process can start.

The process starts with the police coming to take the car’s plates and then taking them back to the RTA. The council will then impound the car and take it away.

If you believe that the council has taken away your car without the proper authority to do so or if the council is being slow at impounding an un-registered vehicle we may be able to help.

If you need more information or assistance with dealing with a problem with your local council.

Complete and submit the Express Enquiry form on the top right hand side of this page and we will contact you to discuss your enquiry or call us on 1300 QUINNS (1300 784 667) or on +61 2 9223 9166 to arrange an appointment.